Friday, August 3, 2007

Friday Snippet: Looks Like We're in for Nasty Weather

Alright. We're back with Iris in the hill country outside of Greenville, SC. She's just asked her friend Andrew for a horse so that she can make the ride up to Ashville, NC. Almost two days have passed since the end of the world and all cars, electronics and means of communication are dead. Just in case you don't know, the referenced song is Bad Moon Rising by Creedence Clearwater Revival (they make everything better). Let me know what you think and please leave a link to your own Friday Snippet!

Copyrighted, do not reproduce, material liable to change. Etc.

“You want to go right now? Tonight?”

“Yes,” she said. He shook his head, running his hands back through his shortened hair. He sighed as if frustrated, as if he forgot taking the scissors to it that morning. His mouth twisted in a frown.

“It’s a long ride to Ashville,” he said. “We could make the Traveller’s Rest by early morning. They’re sure to have some clue, y’think?”

“We?”

“Sure,” he said, turning to the house. He left the door open as he rummaged through the front closet. “You won’t be going alone, that’s for sure. And one of my horses doesn’t count for the plural. I’m coming with you.”

“The Traveler’s Rest it is then,” she agreed. He emerged, sneezing. He flopped blankets and a few belts into her arms and slung a dusty army rucksack over his shoulder. She followed him into the kitchen where he packed canned goods, bread and some Cheerios.

“Peanut butter,” she said. He made a face and she said, “I know, I know. You think you’ll suffocate on it. But I shouldn’t have to be without because you’re a baby.” He gave her a put on frown, but tossed the jar and a knife into the sack.

“Do you think we should take weapons?” Andrew asked, lifting their supplies under his arm. Iris strapped two of his belts around the roll of blankets and slung them across her back.

“Weapons? Really Drew?”

“Yeah,” he said. They stepped into the evening and he locked the door. “Like guns.”

“Seriously?”

“It can’t hurt,” he said, smirking. She stopped, leaning her hip out and crossed her arms. He grimaced. “Sorry. Bad joke. But I think we probably should.”

“You have guns?”

“My father left me a few,” he leaned against the barn doors, the scent of hay and horses rolling over them in thick waves. That smell always reminded her of summer and kittens hissing at rats in her father’s loft.

“I don’t want a weapon,” she said.

“Iris.”

“No. You can play cowboy, Drew,” she snapped. Maybe a little harshly. She shrugged it off and said, “I’m just going to find out what happened. You know?” He shrugged, and she followed him into the swallowing shade of the barn. They saddled in rush of cricket song. As she lead her gelding into the yard, he stepped into the tack room.

Fireflies flickered dazedly in the heat. When he stepped out, she saw a long gun broken over the crook of his arm. He loaded it with a shell thicker than her thumb, snapped the barrel into place.

“Drew.”

“I know you don’t like it,” he said. He never looked at her as he slung the over his back by a wide leather strap. “But I shouldn’t have to do without because…” He sighed. He shook his head, and with a tap of his heels, his horse cantered through the gates. Iris followed wanting to say something, anything. And then Andrew pulled up, waiting for her to come up beside him.

Silver filled his eyes, the strange wheeling stars above usually swallowed by the city light. He smiled and she was glad for the dark as she blushed. Then as if in relief, he leaned back lazy in his saddle as they sauntered on. He tilted his head back his profile harsh against the sky.

I see a bad moon rising, I see trouble on the way, he sang. He kept his voice low, as if he shared a secret. Hope you got your things together… She laughed as his voice rose and he played air guitar, picking furiously and running his fingers down the invisible chords.

“Come any closer and we’ll shoot!” a voice cried out of the dark. Andrew pulled his horse up sharp. The mare reared. Thunder roared through the dark. Something hot blazed against her cheek. Blood splattered her shirt. Andrew sprawled in the road, the contents of his pack rolling in the dust. Iris screamed.

So say we all.
Bri

16 comments:

IanT said...

*nods* I like that. Particularly that Iris isn't keen on the guns - too many fictional characters just pick them up as if it's the done thing...

Couple of minor proofreading things (I can't help myself!) - I think 'Really Drew' should have a comma. :-)

And I'd tend to put the song vocals in quotes (even if they are still italicised) as unquoted italicised words read non-verbally (i.e. silently, as if they're thoughts rather than speech).

Joy Renee said...

what a place to leave off!

i'm really getting hooked on this story world.

Gabriele Campbell said...

Lol, Ian, we're very different then. I can't stand those I'm peace loving and I won't go near a gun sort of women. Especially in a setting where it's legal to have them.

So far I like Dell better, I admit. Though I'm with Drew on peanut butter, it's eww. Lol

Kait Nolan said...

Well he was short lived, wasn't he? Really getting hooked!

One itty bitty typo:

“I know you don’t like it,” he said. He never looked at her as he slung the [GUN?] over his back by a wide leather strap.

Anonymous said...

Short-lived ain't the word, Maggie. I'm a fan of Iris not being keen on guns too - she doesn't have to like them to be able to use one, and not everybody has to be able to use one just because they're allowed, you know? But I digress, I liked the snippet, the pace was just right, not rushed but not stalling. And the exchange about the peanut butter and stuff, great depth.

Jocelyn Howard said...

Very good stuff Bri!!!! Of course, my favorite is still Iris :o) I think these snippets are getting increasingly better, and you're ability to keep us interested deserves a great hurrah! I can't wait to see what happens throughout the rest of the story, and love the ability you have to create such different characters with depth that keep us wondering!

qualcosa di bello said...

Bri...what a place to leave us hanging!! you are drawing me into this :) very nice! i can truly hear & smell what you are describing - good choices for the scene. the typo i saw was already mentioned (ie., missing the word ?gun) can't wait for more!

Joely Sue Burkhart said...

Oh, man, you really know how to sink a hook! Great ending, Bri!

SBB said...

Whoa. Very good. Thanks for sharing.

Ann said...

That was awesome. Quite the cliff hanger. You've got me hooked.

Krista Heiser said...

Nicely done! I feel bad for poor Andrew. Do we get to find out if he lives or dies? I'm assuming the worst, but one never knows.

Nicole said...

Nice hook! I agree with Ian about putting the song in quotes, because I got confused about point-of-view when I first read that part.

MommaBoo said...

Ugghhh....

And I was all into it too!

What a stopping point! (I agree w/ joy renee!)

Hope you have a happy weekend!

Crystal said...

nice cliffhanger, again!

It seemed as though they were barely out of the gates when they were stopped? If that's so then ignore me but otherwise, you might want to make the passage of time clearer.

But SWWEEEEET stuff you have going!

Anonymous said...

And so goes the end of law and order. And, yes, you don't have to like guns in order to realize their uses. My Dad once told me something that's stayed with me--- it's not the gun that's the problem, it's the people pulling the trigger. I found that to be all too true.

Great snippet, Bri!

Amy Ruttan said...

Holy cow I totally forgot about Friday Snippet and it's Monday. Oy, great snippet. I thought something was missing Friday I didn't get my weekly dose of snippets.