Sunday, September 2, 2007

Speaking for the Moments Now Dead

Here follows a story in which Bri:
1. Goes to the Rock to Write
2. Takes Pictures
3. Tries to Buy a Sandwich
4. Stays up to Speak for the Dead
5. Gives You Something Lovely


PART I

Yesterday, I drove into the Rock and, after a splendid time at the local comicbook shop, I wandered over to the bookstore and hand wrote a few dozen pages. When I got home, I took a long walk to the fountain with my notebook and camera to sketch and write a little more. The weather has cooled tremendously here, so I didn't mind being out. Here are some of the pictures I took while roaming about.

PART II
PART III
When I went to Subway for dinner, the girl at the register told me I owed $12 for a turkey-and-pepperjack-cheese sandwich (they were out of bell pepper and tomatoes...and everything else I put on a sandwich). I couldn't believe her. The three girls in line behind me just gawked. Somehow, I got the sandwich for half price, but walking back, I couldn't figure how a stale sandwich could cost as much as a meal at a sit-down restaurant.

PART IV
Back at the dorm, I set to eating my sandwich and typing up what I wrote through the day. That done, I stayed up until 6 AM finishing Orson Scott Card's Ender's Game. I've read various science fiction series and books, and I love to write it. The Dune saga left me in awe, and any of Bradbury's stories are, of course, powerful. But nothing struck me on the same level as Ender's Game. I found myself completely moved and actually cried over the last few pages.

The reach of Ender's compassion and the strange emphasis on his humanity - all of it just worked beautifully. My favorite concept was that the dead need someone to speak for them, because they can no longer speak for themselves. I won't spoil it for you, but honestly - even if you are not a science fiction fan, this book is wonderful for its characters, its story, and the incredible insights on human values.

PART V
This is a little animation from a The Black Heart Group. They are a trio of artists: an illustrator, a composer and a 3D animator. The Tale of How was in production for three years, and is a small part of a trilogy, which is also part of a larger work. I think it is fantastically beautiful and very picaresque and charming in the way it tells its story. Be warned, once scene of violence. I hope you enjoy!



FIN

So say we all.
Bri

3 comments:

IanT said...

Ender's Game is one of my favourite books, and has been since I first read it when I was about 12.

(A film is on the horizon; it's been stuck in development hell for a while, but I suspect will be showing up sometime over the next couple of years. Whether it can do it justice is a different matter.)

The sequel, Speaker For The Dead is a completely different book with completely different themes, but it still excellent. It's almost as if it's from a different series; much more a xenological puzzle.

Xenocide, the third, made no real impression on me despite the fact that I've read it four or five times. It just didn't take, which probably means it isn't as good.

There is another series (Ender's Shadow, from memory) which shows the events of Ender's Game from Bean's point of view and then goes into what happens next. It's nowhere near as good.

Unknown said...

Lovely, lovely photos. REally beautiful. I actually like the chairs the best of all - they have such a nice rhythm.

Ezra said...

It's the Black Heart Gang, just so ya know.. not Group. They're snazzier than a Group. :P

I need to read Ender's, and want to, but I have other things to read through first. Must finish Difference Engine, then Kris left me two books representative of what she likes, so I must tend to those, then I'd like to see to Ender's if you'd be so kind.