Wednesday, September 5, 2007

I Used the Phrase "manipulative pedagogy" Successfully in this Post

I have to unwind. I'm coiled up like a spring and am ready to blow - and the semester just started. I need HALO 3 and I need some time to write. Those are my demands. Some of my professors think they should be a hard ass on the first day of class, then be the students' best friend the next. As a senior (here would follow a list of whiny and stressful things seniors deal with), I am weary of emotional mind games and manipulative pedagogy.

My classes, while sometimes annoyingly full of homework and readings, are very entertaining and generally lively with discussion and ideas. Here follows a nice list for you!

  • Evolution of Rhetorical Theory - My most enjoyable theory class, thus far. I adore studying ancient and modern rhetorics as well as understanding various ways of seeing the same event or view of the world.
  • Composition Theory and Rhetoric - Fantastic discussions. But - the readings are chock full of academics so lost in their own self-importance it's difficult to translate their writings into readable and understandable layman's terms.
  • Writing for New Technologies - This is pretty much a class focused on teaching basic html. Nice, easy. The best part is that I get to think on why a webpage works, and not only how it works.
  • Technical Writing - Please, someone run me over with a truck. This class deals with resumes and how to find a new job after ticking off your coworkers because you stole a donut.
  • Science Fiction Lit Class - Squee!
  • Science Fiction Writing Class - The Best Class I Have. 'Nuff said.
I'll have a more coherent post for you either later today or tomorrow, but it's late, and I have to get to bed. Tomorrow, I work at the Writing Center and, because I misread a syllabus, I am ahead of homework for a small stretch. We all know what that means! Happy Fun Writing Time for Bri!

So say we all.
Bri

3 comments:

qualcosa di bello said...

"...full of academics so lost in their own self-importance it's difficult to translate their writings into readable and understandable layman's terms."

i am very sure i groaned out loud when i read this. that is the bane of academic reading!!

Unknown said...

Your words bring back memories of a magical time, replete with massive and fragrant tomes of wisdom, stained and tattered lab coats and the constant miasma of formaldehye.

Enjoy :)

Crystal said...

I'm envious!!! Sigh. I need to win the lottery so that I can live my life as a perpetual student. I would give anything to go back to college full time.