Saturday, September 15, 2007

Our Day in the Rock and a Papa-san

Today, a few of my friends and I drove down into the Rock, our capitol, and visited an exhibit of Jim Henson's work as well as a few of the more famous galleries. I saw various works from Rivera, Degas, Monet, Seurat and a few others. When it was all over, we sat for a while in the museum garden and rested our feet. When we realized we were horridly bored with sitting, we walked down to the memorial park and I took some pictures. Hope you enjoy! Also - there's a picture of the papa-san so you can see what I'm talking about. Again, enjoy!

Rain-wet flowers outside of our dorm.

Home, sweet home. This is a shot from our wonky downtown. To be very honest, I'm not sure there exists a downtown that is *not* a little eccentric. But I love it.

This is my favorite picture from the day. We visited the Korean War Memorial after walking around the Art Museum for most of the day. I thought this was the strangest stance for a heroic soldier. His feet are turned in - he's afraid. It's something so simple, but it changed the entire emotional feel of the statue.

Birds on top of a towering interstate street lamp. I was standing on a bridge over the interstate, and had to use my full 10X zoom to get this shot - and I think that maybe the birds are really using this as a covert meeting place to plot the destruction of the human race. *Beware*

The Bridge we crossed when I took the picture of the birds and their secret spaceship. This bridge arcs over about eight lanes of traffic in the center of the Rock.

This was the site of an ruined fountain, but I saw it as the perfect model for a fortress where I could survive, with the help of friends and a ton of ammo and high-level explosives, the worst zombie invasion you can imagine. Now, on to more serious material.

The dying light of our most lovely day. Hope you enjoyed.

Oh! Behold! Papa-san - Most Comfy Chair in the World

So say we all.
Bri

5 comments:

qualcosa di bello said...

"I saw various works from Rivera, Degas, Monet, Seurat"...ok, now i'm jealous!!! to get a serious art fix from here, one needs an airplane ticket, or at least many hours in a car!

lovely photos...& i too found the soldier's feet most touching. at the heart of it all, we are all vunerable. bravo for the artist who knows & shows!

Michelle said...

Swinging by to say hello! Lovely pictures! I love the one of the birds...LOL!

Hope you have a great Sunday!

Anonymous said...

Ah, the round thingy made of bamboo. Now I can give it a name. :D

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...Henson being placed at the same level as the other artists. Why not, he had a wonderful impact on our culture, although it still cracks me up.

Great photos, I don't believe I would have ever noticed the boots.

Amy Ruttan said...

I love those chairs. Yes I would have to agree that is the most comfortable chair in the world. Cool I would love to go to a Jim Henson exhibit. Very cool