Monday, September 10, 2007

When You've Got a Train to Catch

This weekend was full of multiple opportunities and a wide array of choices. While I enjoyed various revelations about my writing priorities, the experience was also exhausting. The best part of the whole weekend though, was seeing 3:10 to Yuma.

Sorry, But I've Got a Train to Catch
First, let me say that I am not a huge fan of westerns. I generally think they are contrived and forced, reinforcing a set of values that seem out of date. The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, Unforgiven and Tombstone are classics in that they broke that mold. But none of them succeeded on such an emotional level as 3:10 to Yuma. Eastwood's film, no doubt, rescued the American Western from obscurity, and Unforgiven took the genre seriously, while Tombstone made it cool. 3:10 to Yuma made it human and personal.

3:10 to Yuma soared completely above and beyond my expectations. With a blurred vision of good and bad, the incredible storytelling and believable characters made this movie probably one of the most amazing I've see in a very long time. I've probably only seen a few films that were so violent and brutal, but beautiful and moving at the same time. 3:10 to Yuma was one of the best.

The One That Got Away
I turned down an opportunity for a possible grant and chance to present a paper at an academic conference. I'm still going to be supportive and to help. I will still push the programs I believe should be implemented in the department; I may write up a paper for that in the spring semester. But I thought it a waste to invest time and energy in research that didn't focus on something I'm passionate about. Also, I would have to delay leaving the Undergrad program for a year, thus delaying my MFA. I'm ready to get on with life, to get a house and a job so I can have a few of the things I want. I don't want to give that up.

The Opportunity Taken
I accepted the opportunity to work closely with one of my very best friends on an epic space opera, which we have steadily built up over the last 8 months. We kept it under wraps for such a long time because we weren't sure if we were serious or if we were just enjoying the world and the story. This past week, after an extremely long late night/early morning discussion at the Waffle House, we decided we were, in fact, dedicated. So we bought a dot-com and hope to have something up within the next month or so.

We're keeping it hush-hush until then, but I warn you: it is unbelievably full of awesome. With his vast views of overarching galaxy-wide plots and scientific interests and my focus on personal characters and crafted prose, we make a dashing team.

Pulling Away From the Station
If I haven't gotten to your Friday Snippets, I promise I will. This weekend was full (as you can see), and I've got a test or two this week. But I promise I will come and read. Just so you know, reading up on all the stories for the week is one of the most relaxing times of my blog-rounds.

Before I go, did anyone else see 3:10 to Yuma? If so, let me know what you think. Also, if you do like westerns, leave some suggestions if you want. I'll need to unwind this weekend and could check them out. Thanks!

So say we all.
Bri

8 comments:

Ezra said...

I'm touched. :3
I don't know what or how to say it other than that, I am simply and delightfully touched. ^^

Now if the host would make it snappy already...

Am I the only one suffering this phenomena or are you too? In that I have PLENTY of work to do, yet all I want to do right now is build a certain website and flesh out more awesome ideas?

qualcosa di bello said...

i am a sucker for young guns I & II, but not really a fan of westerns.

given your comments, i am now more likely to humor D. & see 3:10 to yuma...i'm sure he will be grateful to you :)

Unknown said...

Eee that looks too scary for me :( I'm such a wuss :)

Look forward to word on the space opera!

Sam said...

Thanks for commenting on my Friday snippet - no, I never could get that linky thingy. I will just have to do without.
And now I'm dying to see that film 3:10 to Yuma. It sounds lovely. I saw Letters to Iwo Jima and thought that was so good. Loved it.

Amy Ruttan said...

I'm not into Western movies yet I like Dr. Quinn and read alot of Westerns. I don't know what's up with that.

Btw seriously I have a gift certificate for you. I drew your name on Sunday. It's for BOOKS!! Students need books. ;)

Joely Sue Burkhart said...

Oooh, looking forward to more details, Bri!!

Unknown said...

3:10 looks very cool. Might even be babysitter worthy...

And good for you on taking those opportunities. I'm glad to hear your school year is starting off so well. :)

P. A. Medley said...

Can I draw any pictures for your space opera or book? I'd like to be helpful. :)

I'm going to see 3:10 to Yuma when I have two days off and money. (Two days because I hate going places after working, and I only like watching movies at night.)