Sunday, June 24, 2007

Day 24: Post Apocalyptic Chick Lit

Down in Shreveport yesterday, inspiration struck. A few posts back, I talked about the five writing projects I would most want to write, one being a story about my longstanding friendship with Jocelyn. But I didn't really have a plot for it. I've also been reading up on survivalist theories and the Zombie Squad with the intent on creating a story around a nuclear holocaust/plague/apocalyptic cataclysm thing, but I didn't have an actual emotional or personal plot. And then I saw it. As I sat in a Barnes & Noble yesterday, nursing a cold Jones and the beginning concepts of an-end-of-the-world novella, inspiration thundered down.

I could write the story, centered around two friends trying to find each other across a nuclear wasteland. The present nuke story line would parallel their past friendship experience. And after reading The Stand, The Road, Oryx and Crake and watching Jericho I figured writing one of these stories solely from women's POVs would be interesting. So I ran it past Joce: she loved the idea! So there you go. Post apocalyptic chick lit!

Has anyone read any other fiction in this vein? Any post apocalyptic suggestions? Here's something pretty and full of fluff.


So say we all.
Bri

7 comments:

Ezra said...

After the last Resident Evil movie, I have little confidence left in them. I predict it will suck out loud and disappointment me even as an action flick.

P. Scribbles said...

Well what a cheery first post that was...I liked the nuclear post apocalyspe. I don't usually make requests like this but can you consider setting it within a couple years or months of the nuclear holocaust. I get tired of the stereotypical wastelands where everything is sand or water. Too much of anything is monotonous. We've all experienced the world as an empty expanse but describing how things are falling apart would challenge you in just the right way, I think. It's a metaphor eden.

Annie said...

I'm using an apcalyptic theme in the story I'm trying to put together. Two souls woven into the course of time, to break the word and prepare for a new age. I'm going to love building a word and then ripping it apart. Is that excitement slightly sadistic? I hope so. ;)

Unknown said...

My library is a little low on post-apocalyptic chick-lit, but hey! Plenty of room on the shelves yet :)

I'll be interested to read this one. Bring it on!

Joely Sue Burkhart said...

Post-apocalyptic chick lit! Sounds great to me. Beautiful Death is post-pandemic virus, but it's definitely romance. I love your idea and how it blends several things near and dear to your heart together.

Annie said...

Seven glasses of all shapes and sizes, a rolo wrapper shredded and deprived of its carmely goodness and two bottles of Tazo peach from B&N. ;)

Crystal said...

My husband is a zombie freak so we have many many conversations about zombies. I don't think an entire day goes by without the word being uttered at some point. I think the premise is pretty darn cool actually. I would read it!

btw, you've been tagged!
http://crystalking.wordpress.com/2007/06/27/eight-random-facts/