Friday, June 22, 2007

Day 22: Ex Machina is Good...Just Not in Plot

THE PLOT STORM OF THE SUMMER HAS ARRIVED
Things I Find In My Not-Spare Time

Plot problems plague me (and I like alliteration). For the past few days I have decided I would rather bum around than write and I figure maybe a few days furlough couldn't hurt. I find strange things to do with my time, like read obscure books and find even more obscure comics (see below). I've tried to focus, but with the weird weather and any number of other usually insignificant things, it's been difficult. I talked to Joce today and we came up with a few solutions.

1. THE END IS NIGH - I wrote the end of the book a very long time ago and maybe I feel trapped in that ending. She suggested I stop worrying, and write what felt right, and let the characters take over for a few scenes, just to see where the story would go. I agreed.

2. TAKING A BREATHER - I have always felt as if each scene should further the plot. As we talked, we discussed one of our favorite books: The Time Traveler's Wife. Several scenes in that book-of-wonderful don't seem to drive the plot. Rather they allow the reader a chance to breath and see the characters in a less stressful situation. They probably also help the author not stress out while writing. So I'll probably add some of those.

IN THE EYE OF THE STORM
Things I Find In My Spare Time

Ex Machina is a series about Mitchell Hundred, a civil engineer, who gains strange powers to speak to machines. In the comic universe, Hundred becomes a hero on 9/11 when he saves the second World Trade Center Tower by guiding the plane to land in the streets of New York. After unmasking, he is elected mayor of New York and the comic follows his political career and the further development of his powers. The series is clever and well-written by DC's Brian Vaughan (Runaways, The Pride of Baghdad, and Y: The Last Man), with ever single issue beautifully drawn and colored. This series is probably my very favorite (and the best) of all the comics I read.. If you get a chance, definitely try to get a copy and give it a look. I promise - you won't be disappointed in the least.

Speaking of Y: The Last Man, I also picked up the first volume this weekend. Y is the story of a worldwide tragedy in which all men die - all men, that is, except Yorick Brown. While it's sort of a tongue-in-cheek commentary on gender, Y is probably one of the more inventive comics as far as storytelling and concept goes. I loved.

And then after watching the first four episodes for free online, I decided that apocalyptic tv-drama Jericho is up there with my other very favorite shows - Battlestar Galactica, Lost and The Office. I was also thoroughly impressed that the fans of the show fought to save it from cancellation by pelting CBS high-ups with 20 tons of nuts. Bravo.

So say we all.
Bri

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Okay, that last man comic looks interesting. I do like apocalyptic stories. Maybe I should attempt one.

I don't see a problem with writing the end of the book first, or at least having an idea of where the story is going. Maybe not the actual words of the ending though.

Are you going to join in Friday Snippets this week?

Unknown said...

Re: Plot and scenes. There seem to be two types of scenes: Those that drive the plot forward, and those that give the reader examples of character.

Often times in setting up a villain, a story will feature a scene with the villain doing wrong to innocent people. The events may have nothing to do with the plot, but they show the villain for who they really are.

Pan's Labyrinth has some great examples of this.

Re: general plot troubles... I believe plot and scene work to be important enough to be separate processes from the prose-writing. It's why I favor treatments of scenes and blocking scenes in before I get very far with any actual prose. It's much easier to 'render' something I'm happy with than something I'm not. So the trick is to find an arrangement of scenes or scene treatements that you're happy with, and then you can go off and do the 'real writing.'

But then I've always HATED rewriting of a blind draft, and blind drafting in general.

It's all about the modular scene construction!