Saturday, June 2, 2007

Day 1: In the Beginning

In the beginning, there is a boy who learns some horrific news and takes his first step to becoming the hero we all know and love. And so begins the first 2,558 words of my novel! While this whole word count thing is at times stressful, the one beautiful thing I can say about it, without one single doubt, is that is makes the story move!

The story, when it all comes rushing out onto the page, may not be the most beautiful prose, but it does make characters DO things (imagine that)! It makes events occur and sets in motion greater purposes in the plot! Cultural minutiae cropped up through the characters' religions, traditions, laws, and thought, and while these pages definitely need to be fine tuned, I am very well pleased with the first day's results.

I'm off to read A Clash of Kings, but tomorrow, I have a few thoughts to share concerning the greater nature of things to come - in the novel and life.

So say we all.
Bri

1 comment:

P. Scribbles said...

2,558 is more than I've put into my first novel. Quite a number. What are our classmates blogsites? I'd like to read theirs as well.

I'm at pulpscs.blogspot.com now if you would like to read anything I write.