Thursday, June 14, 2007

Day 14 & 15: I Look at All the Lonely People

In a few hours, I will drive to my grandmother's funeral and in a few days, life will resume its normal and peaceful routine. Yesterday, my mom and I went out to the cemetery to get the gravestones ready. We took flowers for Nana and my grandpa, Mickey and their son, John.

I never knew Mickey, but I've heard only great things about him. He played ball all his life - in WWII he lied about his age, joined the Navy and played baseball on the destroyers and with Japanese children after the surrender. My grandmother loved butterflies and the color purple - she even had this hideously huge purple table that terrified me as a child (don't ask me why it terrified me - the table defied the laws of physics it was so monstrously gigantic).

So yesterday, we put out purple and yellow flowers with a baseball and a butterfly in the arrangement. Hopefully, today will go smoothly, with no drama by out-of-town aunts and uncles. I'll see you on the other side.

So say we all.
Bri

4 comments:

P. Scribbles said...

Good Luck.

Crystal said...

My thoughts are with you and your family. I hope that things go smoothly today.

Unknown said...

I like the sound of that tablecloth, and the awe you felt as a child.

I hope the day goes well for you, and isn't too painful.

Annie said...

Thanks for the comment. Sometimes I store away things that complicate life. Before long the torrent is unleashed and I am left in a trembling heap on the floor. A hour or so later the calm returns to build the wall again. It's easier this way. An hour or so of weakness in the dark for strength during the days.

I can be useful for things other than writing...though I suppose chatting online includes writing...no wonder I so easily become addicted. Anyway, my inbox is lonely. ;)
Annie