Monday, April 30, 2007

Duct Tape, Madness, and Pandora

While editing What is Now: Easter Sunday, I stumbled over several fascinating tidbits about our solar system - geography of moons, the odds of terra-forming Mars, and patterns in various orbits - which have spawned various other story ideas. Thanks to a friend, I also have a wide array of information on a few religions which I find very useful when I write. To wiki and my friend, we say thank you.

That brings me to what I've been wanting to say. In writing What is Now: Easter Sunday, I found that I enjoyed the idea of discussing what it is that makes us human, what it is that ties us to our little dustball and makes us unique in the incredible vastness of the universe. I know I want to write various "colonial" stories involving the madness that could overwhelm someone when space becomes the new 'last frontier.' After losing myself in our own constellations in a little program called Celestia, I still want to play off the idea of finding yourself surrounded by strange stars.

Last thing: This has nothing to do with anything I'm writing, but I am insanely jealous of anyone who has satellite or cable this summer. Space week is coming on the Science Channel and I want to watch it so incredibly much. Did you know that in the event of an astronaut succumbing to psychosis, the treatment method involves duct tape? That's right. Duct tape. I seethe jealously at all of you who will watch this gloriousness.

So say we all.
Bri

P.S. Check out Pandora.com. It gave me the greatest bands and free songs on internet radio - ever.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Again, I can see about recording that for you..

Y'know, from the friend who showed you that program, Pandora, and dispenses Sci-Fi knowledge like a fountain.. but wasn't mentioned ONCE.. *sniffles* ;_;