Wednesday, April 18, 2007

On Revisions, Cliches and New Frontiers

For the past week or so, I've concentrated on editing What is Now: Easter Sunday and When Otis Met Everlyse, and received great critique from my best-worst critic friend. She discovered the miraculous and wonderful world of the Microsoft Word comment feature, and I benefited immensely from her advice! I know I'm probably a few years behind the revolution, but this newly discovered feature has enlightened me to the greatness of Word. Basically, this feature allows her to comment to specific pieces of my work in little comic-word bubbles without disrupting the flow of my original text. It's fantastic.

Another great realization of the week is that revision is a wonderful process - and I will spare you the horror of cliches like "like a snake shedding its skin" or a "phoenix rising from the ashes." But in all honesty, revision may be one of the greatest things I've had to do for class, mainly because I think it might greatly benefit my novel chapters when I revise them this summer.

The last thing for the evening is that I have started work on several short stories outside of my normal genre, mainly because of a writing/revision assignment in my fiction class. I'll keep you updated on the progress of these new ventures.

So say we all.
Bri

Thoughts and prayers are with those at Virginia Tech.

2 comments:

Ezra said...

...you find RSS (finally) and now you switch blogs so I have to change my damn feeds. *tsk*

That, and not allowing anonymous comments is lame, you should change that. Samantha's won't allow anonymous comments and I don't comment on her's.

stochastic said...

It's a good thing he doesn't comment with all those extraneous apostrophes!

Your profile pic (the one in the actual template) is amazing.