Monday, July 30, 2007

Plans within Plans...and Packing for the Great Migration

I've been off the blogosphere for a few days because I've been packing. That's right. The autumnal migration of Bri has begun once again. Today, I reduced my life to five cardboard boxes, a laundry basket and a few rugs. I still have to sort through my art stuff, but everything else is packed.

While Sven is a (still) a complete jerk, I have kept ahead of the word count and made some wonderful discoveries in the story.

  1. My protagonist, a cool guy, has become doubly cool because of some responsibilities and goals I gave him. I was delighted when I realized how awesomely awesome he could be by changing just a few things.
  2. I've also introduced this dashing and sort of gruff highlander who becomes the heroine's right hand. He might be (slightly) in love with her, but I'm enjoying him so much I don't see much problem with it.
  3. I'm having a little bit of trouble with POV and exactly who should have those scenes and who can do without. Generally I work around about four POV characters (in limited third person), but if I have another one or two every now and then, I'm not sure it will hurt.
  4. I've also been considering my heroine's half of the story. As the hero's sister, she has to be pretty rocking awesome to compete. Quite unexpectedly, her story has become as cool, if not cooler, than her brother's. We'll have to work on this.
  5. The End of the Series is working itself out...
Which leads me to say that tomorrow, I'll begin posts on how handling my own series' various storylines and subplots (Tuesday), POV and character development (Wednesday), and theme and brainstorming methods (Thursday).

Otherwise, life is good. I'll post a video of the before and after shots of my packing rampage and probably a sketch or two from designs I've been working on for the past few weeks. Anyway, sorry I haven't been around much! I'll be around to say hi and comment later tonight, promise.

So say we all.
Bri

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Ugh, I loathe moving. Doing it every year? Forget it!

Glad that the story is rocking along :)

Unknown said...

I hope you get settled quickly back at university. I hate moving but I loved university. :)

MommaBoo said...

Well, have a safe, fun "trip".

Hurry home!

(Anxiously awaiting more from your writings!)

qualcosa di bello said...

Bri...eldest child is moving back to college too. i only wish i could inspire her to begin the transition earlier than the night before we head out! less than 2 weeks to go...i will miss her much! buon viaggio to you!

Amy Ruttan said...

I hate moving. Sucks big time. University is fun though, have a safe move.

Joely Sue Burkhart said...

What great progress! Good luck with the move!