Monday, July 16, 2007

90K for Sven: Of Writing, Canine Rage, and the Net

Because Sven Says!
Sweating with Sven has been one of the greater experiences for my writing. In revising XIII, I have found a stronger voice and much more enjoyable characters. Needless to say, I am pleasantly surprised. The word count is just enough every day that I don't feel rushed and can be incredibly proud of my prose this round of revision.

And I Will Show You Something Different...
A Handful of Dust is also coming along nicely. It's not part of the Sweat challenge, but I am serializing it every week through Friday Snippets (which, btw, are all collected and numbered in the left sidebar under Dispatches). So far, everyone seems to enjoy the story and I enjoy (read: have amazing amounts of fun) researching. This Friday, I'll leave Dell in a particularly difficult situation and next week Iris will be introduced. I hope you guys like her as much as Dell.

On the Miracles of Law Enforcement
In real life, I've had to call the cops on my neighbor's dog. Now before you say, "Oh, Bri, that's so horrible. Don't you like dogs?" listen to this. It barked constantly. Every. Single. Night. It barked from 1:30 AM to 8:00 AM. Talking to the owner did no good, so I resorted to desperate measures. And for the past two nights since the cops visited him, I've had solid sleep. Whoorah.

The Net is Vast and Infinite Lonely
I've gotten to know quite a few of the writer-bloggers in this little area of the net and had a blast. So, this weekend I tried to find a few other fantasy and science fiction writer-bloggers. Strangely, I could find very few who kept consistent blogs or who responded to conversation in their comments. Can anyone point me toward a blogger community of these sorts? Or are we it? The last stronghold of fantasy, science fiction and romantic writers in all the vastness of the Net? :D

So say we all.
Bri

9 comments:

Unknown said...

I think we're it. Most of my blogs I have foudn from reading other author blogs, and not a lot of them are constantly updated.

Grats on the daily word count! Sorry to hear about the dog - poor puppy, bad owners :(

Unknown said...

Hi Bri! I'll talk to you hon. :) I'm always popping around blogsville and love to chat.

Way to go on the daily word count! I've found this challenge has been great for me too. I've actually gotten my focus back this summer, which was all over the place earlier. Now if I can just finish this book I'll be a happy camper. :)

Anonymous said...

Hmm. Since I found all of you through Snippets and click-through from Holly Lisle and Tamara S Jones, I'd say we probably have one corner of the web to ourselves, but there are other similar pockets. I think so from somehow clicking through to the likes of LKH and other published authors who probably have helped other satellite writers all link in their own pockets of webspace. If that makes any sense?

But I'm glad to have found you guys; I know I'm new to the blogosphere but I appreciate everyone's welcome, especially on Snippets. ^_^

Kait Nolan said...

Hey Bri! Brava on your revisions. It's so nice when things are going well! One thing you might consider is that a lot of conferences were going on this last week so I think a lot of folks weren't updating. Also, I've noticed in blogland that people don't tend to update as often in summer (many authors have kids home for the summer, they're on vacation, etc.), so that's also a consideration. But I'll talk! I love to talk! :D Thank for stopping by at A Field Of Paper Flowers.

Andy Wolverton said...

Great job on the daily word count! Having a regular count and time to write is more than half the battle. Keep at it!

Joely Sue Burkhart said...

Check Elizabeth Bear's blog (sorry, I don't have the link handy). I know she updates regularly and likely links to many others.

Great Sweating!!

K J Gillenwater said...

Hey, Bri! Thanks for stopping by my blog. I love your title graphic thingie. So cool. Glad to see you are also participating in the 70 Days of Sweat. Haven't started my writing yet for today. Did well yesterday. Must keep up with the pace!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Bri, I'm around for support and love the kinds of things you write. Actually my writing might end up in that genre.

There are a lot of SFF links off my blog. And I know of some others. Let me go look.

Elizabeth Bear's blog is good. I used to link, but it's Live Journal and I don't really read her work.

Great work on the revisions. Stay focused!

Nicole said...

Hi Bri! Thanks for the comment on my blog.

I think that, like Jess says, there are pockets of writers that each visit their own places. Some stick to forums. Some are on LiveJournal.

Also, though, I have noticed that many writers (especially the novice ones) don't update consistently. They'll post tons, and then either hit a block in their writing or get super involved in their story... and either way they stop blogging. That's why I combined my writing blog and my knit blog... I figure that between the two I'll have content on a regular basis. :)