Friday, July 13, 2007

Friday Snippet: The Atomic Weight of Aluminum

After joining up with Sven to sweat for the next 70 days, this Friday Snippet almost slipped my mind. Without further ado, here is the Friday Snippet. We rejoin Dell in the back alley lot with Mrs. Tailor and Caleb after a nuclear blast has laid waste to Columbia, Missouri.

Copyrighted, do not reproduce, material liable to change. You know. Etc.

Dell helped the older woman down to the ground and dropped to the dirt beside her. Before she could stand, Mrs. Tailor had her by the shoulders, fingernails biting through her jersey.

“Where are my children?” Her eyes were wild and bloodshot. Tears tracked white streaks down her ash-smeared face. Dell disentangled herself. Panic was infectious.

“I’m not sure,” Dell said. She gripped the mother’s wrists, forcing her to focus. “I’ll stay and look for them. But you can’t keep Caleb here too long. You need to get out of the city! Find a FEMA station or the National Guard. They’ll take care of you.”

“My children!”

“Look! If he stays here, he will die. You have to help him. You have to get him out.”

“You take him,” she said. She shoved her son toward Dell. “I have to stay and look for my children!”

She staggered toward the sagging apartment. Caleb buried his wet face against Dell’s stomach, his sobs muffled. She stood helpless, her hands at her sides. She choked for just a moment, and scrambled back from the fear creeping up in her chest. As she gripped the boy’s arm, her expression hardened. The apartment shuddered. She dragged Caleb after her, his fist pounding against her ribs. He screamed.

Daniel lay in the grass, his blood like paint splattered on the green stalks. His eyes mirrored a mercury sky. The fires crept closer and dying embers flared like cold stars.

Dell took the baseball bat from Daniel’s hand. The aluminum was still warm from his grip as she slung it through her belt loop. Her pants leg was heavy with her own blood. Fire lanced up her leg.

A few sharp cracks, like bones breaking, tore the air and Dell heard the east wall of the apartment cave. She slung Caleb in front of her, shielding him against her. The apartment collapsed in a roar of rolling dust and debris. Dell felt the boy’s heartbeat through his back.

She closed her eyes, breathed. She stood and the pain in her foot hissed. The boy clutched her hand, his fingers clamped on her wrist. Corleone mewed and the pillowcases swung heavy from her shoulder. In a haze of shock, Dell stumbled through the ruined streets toward wailing sirens. The boy on her arm followed, choking back his sobs with ragged hiccups.

Next week will probably be the last section with Dell for a while. We'll have a scene of Iris and Dell in college, and then we'll jump to Iris in the present, a few days after Doomsday. Let me know what you think! Also, if you're doing Friday Snippets, leave a link and I'll check it out!



So say we all.
Bri

13 comments:

Joely Sue Burkhart said...

Yay for 70 Days of Sweat! Although I haven't sweated today yet. :-) I think you captured the panic and pain of both Dell and the mother very, very well. Looking forward to more!

IanT said...

Excellent - nicely written, flows well and naturally. My only minor niggle was this sentence:
A few sharp cracks, like bones breaking, tore the air and Dell heard the east wall of the apartment cave.
...which I think I'd recast as:
A few sharp cracks tore the air like bones breaking and Dell heard the east wall of the apartment cave.
It just interrupted my reading flow, so to speak! Apologies if I'm being too edity! (Yes, I know that's not a word...)

Gabriele Campbell said...

I agree with Joely. The mother's frozen in shock while Dell keeps enough of her brain cells working to do something. Realistic reactions.

Unknown said...

Post-apoc chic-lit gets bloodier :) Great stuff Bri, and you have a nice poetic turn of phrase :)

Jean said...

You captured the shock and action very well.

Zette said...

Nicely done. The feel of the fear and panic is excellent. I can imagine what getting away from here will be like as she finds even more destruction and death.

Cheryl Peugh said...

Nicely understated. Dell looks at Daniel and we experience the pain and horror for her that she's trying to keep from feeling so she can function.

Ann said...

Excellent snippet. definitely looking forward to more.

Kait Nolan said...

Well I'm coming into this without knowing the background, so I'm a bit unclear on exactly what's going on, but I think you do a great job communicating Dell's pain, a general sense of chaos in the scene (natural disaster? post apocalypse?), and the mother's desperation. Nicely done.

Crystal said...

Great pacing! Everyone said what I would have so I'll just say that I can't wait for the next installment!

Anonymous said...

I like it! You capture Dell's emotion well. I'll add you to my Friday Friends list. :)

Joy Renee said...

nicely done. the panic and disorietation is rendered well and the characters reactions are individualistic and believable.

Just found your comment on my TT and wanted to let you know that I did join Friday Snippets very very late Friday night. In fact it may have been after midnight before I got it posted.

i should be sweating out word count but here i am surfing again... got a late start with the 70 days of Sweat and then Friday evening thru Saturday night was a big family todo. I'm going to be playing catchup for most of the next week.

Unknown said...

Way to go on joining us for 70 Days of Sweat! I love your Friday snippet as well. This is very well written and flows very smoothly. I'll have to go back and read the rest. :)

Thanks for stopping by my site!