Thursday, July 19, 2007

Writing in Shades of Grey...With a Hat

CREATION v. DESTRUCTION
After reaching today's word count, I wrote out some theme ideas and how to work them into the story. My characters use violence or pacifism - depending on their morals and what would better serve their causes. So, I've got a theme of creation v. destruction.

WHITE HATS v. BLACK HATS
Most of these characters make these decisions based on their personal backgrounds. The protagonist will not always chose "creation" and the antagonist will not always chose "destruction." They will chose like any "real" person would - based on background, personal experience, and circumstance.

If they didn't, they would be typecast as "heroes" or "villains." And everyone knows that while villains are tons of fun to write, heroes can be boring and predictable. I generally detest the idea of writing a villain who is evil, only for evil's sake, or a hero who does good...only because it's the right thing to do. I know I sound like a cynic, but hear me out.

I enjoy characters who make these decisions based on human need, who are interesting flawed. I don't like characters who are motivated by high-minded ideals or gutter-deep depravity - at least not at first. I don't mind if eventually the protagonist gains higher goals or motivation, or the villain darker intentions and plots. I love the characters who deal with the conflicts as humans. Not as characters.

Obviously, both types of "good" and "bad are necessary - I just prefer one over the other in what I read.

SOME EXAMPLES TO CLARIFY
  • Protagonists: Equality 7-2521 in Anthem, Spike Spiegel in Cowboy Bebop, Howl in Howl's Moving Castle, Han Solo in Star Wars, Mal Reynolds in Firefly
  • Heroes: Robin Hood, The Scarlet Pimpernel, Superman, Captain America, Luke Skywalker
  • Antagonists: Jaime Lannister in A Song of Ice and Fire, Denethor in The Lord of the Rings, Deth in The Riddlemaster, Vicious in Cowboy Bebop
  • Villains: Sauron in The Lord of the Rings, the Borg in Star Trek, the Agents in The Matrix Trilogy, the blue-handed men in Firefly

So say we all.
Bri

2 comments:

MommaBoo said...

Interesting post.....

Thank you for sharing!

p.s. I agree with you on most!

Kait Nolan said...

I agree with you! Complex characters are more interesting. My "bad guys" (two separate ones) both are way more complex than just pure evil. Each tries to rescue the heroine from the other in his own twisted way and it just gets complicated...but more fun that way.