Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Throwing up Road Blocks to the Creep of Apathy

A SMALL NOTE BEFORE THE ACTUAL POST:
For those of you who commented on the MFA post - thanks so much! It was very encouraging :) I gave a few answers to some of the questions you asked, at the end if this post. Also - thanks to Jess at Tudor's Desk for the Rocking Girl Blogger nomination!

POSSIBLE PREVENTATIVE MEASURES
In an episode of panic early in May, I feared my novel and series lost forever to the Charybdis and Scylla of Writing. Apathy and cynicism struck such a blow that I questioned the very validity of my story, my characters - even why I ever thought I wanted to write.

Since getting over that and plunging back into the novel's world, I've found my story and my characters again. I figured I should probably understand how I did it - in case it ever happens again. I'll start a series of posts on this after my Friday Snippet this week.

Also, sweating with Sven - I'll post more about that probably later today or tomorrow. It's fun. :)

ALL THE PRETTY NOTEBOOKS
I have a horrible habit of collecting beautiful notebooks and then becoming so intensely intimidated by their beauty that I never write in them. They sit on my shelf and regard me mournfully. They seem to say, Bri! Don't you love us? Don't you want to put pretty words on these pretty pages? Bri! And I shake my head and mutter something about being sorry.

And then, Joce, my long-time friend from VA, has a brilliant idea. We'll send each other our lovely notebooks, filled with poetry, newspaper clippings, critique and ramblings. They'll fill up with strange collages and we'll exchange them. Celebrate, you lovely notebooks! You are no longer empty! You are no longer devoid of purpose! Celebrate!

SOMETHING TO POINT THE WAY HOME
I know some of you have probably seen this, but I finid it absolutely beautiful and so decided to post it here. I've noticed there have been dozens of trailers for "children's fantasy" movies in the past few years, but this is the series I've been hoping they would adapt to the screen. It makes me wish I had an armored polar bear...that could talk.

THE PROMISED ANSWERS ABOUT THE MFA
Yes, I read up on Seton Hill University in Pennsylvania. It is on my list for applications. Thanks for the heads up!

Yes, I am considering teaching creative writing. Currently, I work at the university during the school year helping students with papers and other creative writing projects. Luffs my job.

So say we all.
Bri

5 comments:

Nicole said...

I hear you on the pretty notebooks thing. I buy them because they're pretty and don't want to sit empty on the shelf. (And then they sit empty on my shelf.) But I can't bear to give them away, either, so I'm not sure your decision would work for me. :)

Anonymous said...

I think you and I have a lot in common. I am so glad I found your blog. As for those pretty notebooks. I'll post a pic of mine. LOL!

Now write your novel. Believe in it for yourself. After all, practice counts.

Annie said...

I'm totally going to go back and finish reading your post...but when I got to the notebook part...it just got eerie. I have beautiful notebooks with nothing in them...They sit as mere decorations around my room instead of fulfilling their created purpose. I suppose that it is common among writers...but I think my fear is an insecure one. I am so terrified of ruining these beautiful parchment pages with silly whims that mean nothing...I would rather the book burn empty than burn full of my thoughts and dreams after I am gone.

qualcosa di bello said...

Bri, i am enjoying your blog very much. right now i am at a school crossroads, so to speak. within the next 3 years i will be applying to grad school & am seriously considering the mfa program nearby. in the previous post you said...

"I realized I shouldn't see the MFA as something that could possibly crush me or my desire to write. Rather I should see it as something that could be a step toward the life I want. I saw it as something that could help me were I need help and reinforce my strengths."

really, that was just what i needed to hear at that moment - very pertinent to my struggles right now.

in your mfa searching did you investigate UNCW's program? i have, but it is a simple geography issure for me!

MommaBoo said...

Who wrote the Golden Compass? I'm ashamed to say I've never heard of it....

Also, I love your idea about pretty notebooks. I will have to try that myself with some of my girlfriends!

Also about your novel, GET TO IT! From reading your posts, I can tell it will be a novel I will love!

Have a great Thursday!