Sunday, March 18, 2007

In a Universe of Infinite Chaos

Tomorrow, I have to hand in a one page essay on what I've done so far this semester to get myself published/into the world of print for my Into Print class. At the moment, I've sent out no short stories to magazines other than The Vortex; the few short stories I do have are in drafts, most not nearly ready to be published.

But the one thing I would make note of is that this semester has been my most productive in terms of creativity, and actual completion of several drafts with which I am extremely pleased. So while I have not submitted to outside magazines for the Into Print course yet, I feel I have a substantial portfolio with Half-Made Men, When Otis Met Everlyse, The Promethean and Breaking the Bowl, along with a few other short-shorts, poems and edited chapters of my novel.

This weekend has been my very first experience of writing actual sci-fi. Before, I've played with the genre, but never ever taken it as seriously as I have in Breaking the Bowl. Needless to say, I have enjoyed myself thoroughly. I've picked up a spotty knowledge of our solar system and have a fistful of ideas for further stories involving the frontiers of space and the two characters of Demne Spartkoi and Lyric Meridian.

One of the things I think I would like to investigate in the stories of these two is how someone who has seen all things destroyed - God, culture, world, family - transplants himself into a new environment with no boundaries, in a universe that is both chaotic and infinite. We'll see how that falls.

So say we all.
Bri

No comments: