Monday, March 19, 2007

Lost...in Space

Since the discussion in our Into Print class this morning, I am much more confident about my current path in the literary life and in the class. Other students have already submitted to publications and while that was a little intimidating, I was sort of inspired to send out my stuff sooner than later, to at least say that I had the courage to send out something. After Spring Break, the three stories previously mentioned will be ready, and that's when I will have to brace myself and send them out.

On another note, the science fiction story has grown several pages within the past few hours mainly because of an idea I had about distance and time that came while I was playing around with a program called Celestia. This setup allows you to start at Sol and move out into our solar system, covering vast distances to find Earth and the moon, then from there, the orbits of various other solar bodies. While I was looking around, I lost track of Earth and found myself wandering into strange space where I didn't know the constellations and I couldn't find a point of reference to find my way back .

When I closed the program, the thought stayed with me of how vast that distance was and how disoriented and frustrated I felt when I couldn't even find our sun or any of our constellations. I think I will definitely use that sense of detachment and disorientation in part of my science fiction piece, so thanks to my friend Charlie for passing the word to me about the program. If any of you are interested, definitely take a look - while sometimes disorienting, there is actually much fun to be had.

So say we all.
Bri

No comments: