Wednesday, March 21, 2007

On Hard Lessons

Tonight, I discussed one of my short stories with my very best friend and harshest critic (a very good thing to have in a best friend), and came to a startling and agonizing realization. I don't really want to expound on it here, but I will say that I discovered a very great weakness in my writing.

The thing is that my friend has read everything I've written for the past six years and while some less familiar readers probably would not have noticed it, she did. She pointed it out because she realized I needed to see it early in my writing career and not before I was so far into the rut of the problem that I could never get out. I offer my most humble thanks.

I will be gone to San Antonio for the next few days and I'll be working over three or four stories while I'm there. If you don't hear from me for a few days, that's why. I might be able to write up something tomorrow, but I need some time to think over what we talked about tonight. When I have a more coherent idea of exactly what I need to say, I'll let you know.

So say we all.
Bri

No comments: