Friday, March 16, 2007

On Unreliable Narrators and Blog Posts

Today, I attended a craft lecture about "unreliable" narrators and while what the lecturer had to say about the craft of fiction irked some of my sensibilities, I found some of his ideas fascinating. One of the things that I have decided to do in the Breaking the Bowl short story is to play with the idea of an "unreliable" narrator and his constantly shifting memories. He relates his knowledge of combat and death to what he knows of love and the dark of space and loss. I think, once I articulate the ideas clearly on paper, the images will work exceptionally well together to come to a very powerful conclusion.

The other thing I was thinking on today was the idea of how religious an experience listening to music can be. I was listening to the soundtrack for 300 and The Fountain, and I found scenes for short stories and my novel coming to life in my head. Look for a sidebar tomorrow listing off some of my favorite mixes. The songs may be of benefit to those of you who want some listening suggestions, but will also be helpful to me in remembering some of the music that helps stir inspiration.

At the current time, I am working on the design of this site which will be changing drastically within the next few hours. Hopefully, what I'm doing will work well, but we'll have to see. What's done is done.

So say we all.
Bri

No comments: