Thursday, December 27, 2007

Friday Snippet: Hunter and Hunted

Yet another piece written for my sci-fi writing class. I haven't developed much of the story behind it, but again, I like it. I hope you enjoy. Let me know what you think and leave a link!

Copyrighted, do not reproduce, material liable to change. Etc.
Through the deadly crush of the snow-blanketed forest and the heavy scent of pine sneaking between the branches, Lyte knew he was Hunted. He paused, snow grunting under his boots. He knelt. Tilting his head back to the cold winter sky, he narrowed his eyes, searching for a sign of what stalked his footsteps. He could taste it, like the flat tang of rust: blood on the wind.

Traces of it, like spider webs, drifted through the blackened trees, and he saw scents and memories and whispered words of travelers long dead swirling on the air. But no sign of the thing prowling through the snow. He frowned darkly. He’d been Hunted most of his life, walking from one Edge of the world to the other since the last battle at the Port o' Mourning. But this time his ash-black hair stood on end and his nerves crackled with near-panic. A strange alien threat soaked the air.

His stomach lurched and he leaned forward, pressing his bare hand deep into the snow. Voices assaulted him in a cacophony, calling his name in lullabies and battle cries. Above all others, her voice - Even’s voice - rose out of memory, as clear as if she crouched beside him under the slate grey sky, her slender arms looped around his neck.

“I’ll never marry a Hunter,” she said.

The first time she told him that, they were children lying in rain-wet grass on a cool spring night. The whole world gleamed like a freshly painted canvas. He would turn to her, his cheek pressed against the silvered jade blades of grass. Her jaw was touched in starlight and he never answered her. He never answered her because her voice lifted off into the night and it was enough that he heard her humming and speaking in rhyme just above the cricket-song. But when he was older and all of that was gone and he Hunted the world over for blood, it was never enough.


So say we all.
Bri

10 comments:

IanT said...

Ooh! Um. Don't quite get what Even is - the silver blades are confusing - but it does leave me with lots of questions, which is a good thing. Last para is very intriguing.

(Couple of minor things - I'm not sure that your MC would notice his own ash-black hair, and you have too many 'flat's in the first para...)

Bri said...

Thanks for pointing those out! I went back and fixed them before too many other people read it :D To clarify - Even was his lover, the girl who told him she would never marry a Hunter. Glad this raised some questions for you.

Again - thanks for finding the mistakes!

Joely Sue Burkhart said...

Definitely lots of cool questions, the play on "he was hunted" at the beginning to "he hunted" at the end. Great piece, Bri!

IanT said...

Oh, grass! Now I understand - I thought she was some kind of non-human. Stoopid me and my overactive imagination! :-D

Anonymous said...

LOL @ iant. I'm not gonna ask how you read that the first time through.

Bri, I like this snippet. The snow "grunting" beneath his boots was good. I've heard that sound--snow does more than "crunching" when someone walks on it. Neat.

Gabriele Campbell said...

Oh, what an intriguing little plotbunny you caught there. Feed it well, please, I want more. :)

Anonymous said...

LOL I'm with Gabriele. I like this! It's definitely got something to it - the hunter/prey thing can be played so many ways. And I like the twist that Even makes - her one line is fantastic!

Anonymous said...

That last paragraph really put some images on my mind's screen - magnificent.
What a talent you are.
Have a fantabulous New Year.

Anonymous said...

That last paragraph really put some images on my mind's screen - magnificent.
What a talent you are.
Have a fantabulous New Year.

qualcosa di bello said...

bri i have missed your writings! it is good to visit again. this piece is very intriguing & i hope you will follow it up. i am always drawn into your snippets!

a very happy new year to you & yours!