Friday, December 21, 2007

Friday Snippet: Ares Last Stand

This was a flash-sort-of-fiction I wrote up for my sci-fi writing class portfolio. I haven't developed much of the story behind it, but I like it. I hope you enjoy. I know I've been out of the snippet loop for a while, but I'm hoping I'll have more time this next semester. Let me know what you think and leave a link!

Copyrighted, do not reproduce, material liable to change. Etc.
She waits at the docks at Olympus Mons. Far below on Tharsis Fields, she sees the lines of soldiers sprawling out in black and red. She feels a moment of regret. A few brief flickers of light, like giant flash bulbs, signal the end of her world. Mushroom clouds sprout and bloom, billowing up until they crest the seventeen-mile summit where the Alala, her last armed cruiser, hovers, tethered at the edge of heaven.

A few brief flickers of light, like giant flash bulbs, signal the end of her world.


She refuses to cry, but beads of liquid salt drift up like pearls in the zero gravity. Her brothers are dead. Ma’adim lies in ruins over her lover. The Terran Federation waits to glass her civilization from orbit. She is the last of the House of Ares.

But before the last ship out, she passed her memories on – the memories of the Battle at Sarandib Bridge, of the Terran ships looming large and menacing against the Martian sky. She may end here, but this is only beginning. Far off in the dark, the last of her fleet waited in silent wrath.

So say we all.
Bri

p.s. I have good news that I'll tell you later. Promise.

6 comments:

IanT said...

Good to have you back. :-)

This all feels a bit Dune-ish, for some reason. Possibly the Ma'adim and House Ares.

It'd be nice to expand it - I like the reversed viewpoint on Earth.

Joely Sue Burkhart said...

Welcome back, Bri! I agree with Ian, a sort of Dune feel, which I love.

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you back. And, hey, even if it does have a Dune feel, you're in great company! I should be so lucky.

Gabriele Campbell said...

I agree with the others about the Dune feel and that you should expand it.

Joy Renee said...

I see much potential here especially considering whose hands it is in.

welcome back. You were missed. So glad your semester went well.

Amy Ruttan said...

WOW! I've missed ya. I guess college keeps ya busy.

Merry Christmas I hope you have a restful holiday season.

Great excerpt. I'd like to see it expanded more ... so much to work with. :D