Sunday, January 11, 2009

Magical Beasties and Revolution

So, in the past week since Bear left, the house has been quiet and sort of cold and I've gotten the rearranging bug. I've rearranged all of the upstairs and plan to move several stacks of books up there so that it feels more welcoming. Where there are books, I am comfortable. School starts in the next few days and I know I'll probably have to put away North of the Line for another few months. It's frustrating, but necessary if I want to focus on my writing at university.

In my last hours of freedom, I've picked up Viva la Revolution by Mark Steele. It's a stand-up history of the French Revolution, laying out the basics in plain language, which helps. I'm also reading biographies Caesar by Christian Meier and Mao by Jung Chang. Why all the historic reading you ask? I would like a look at influential world leaders for when I write my main character who becomes a pretty influential guy.

Also, if any of you know if any interesting or informative bestiaries, let me know, please. I'm working several magical creatures into the steampunk-fantasy story and could use a good resource.

Holding the Line.
Bri

1 comment:

Crystal said...

I highly recommend "Spirits, Fairies, Leprechauns, and Goblins. An Encyclopedia" by Carol Rose. It's a fabulous tome that is bound to give you more than a few ideas.

The Wordsworth Dictionary of Phrase and Fable is also a great resource!