Monday, February 4, 2008

This Broadcast Continues...

An Explanation
After so long with no posts, I'm surprised this blog is still here. My deepest apologies. University has started up again, and with it all the stress that built up over the holiday season has come rolling down on me.

After I completed three admissions applications I was sure I could probably crawl into bed and sleep for the next four years without a single qualm. Once I complete the official graduation hullabaloo by Friday, life will settle back into the most pleasant of routines, I'm sure.

Amid all of this stress, the most wonderful thing has occurred. My creativity has returned after a long winter nap. I meet with my thesis adviser this week and hopefully my chapters will sing off of the page. As the semester goes on, I'll post sketches and summaries to accompany my progress in the actual writing process.

Imitation and Art
In my classes lately, I've noticed a trend where people consider imitation an art. I'm not sure how I feel about this just yet. I know in my own artwork, I learned through imitation and mimicry. At what point does a plot become original and innovative instead of cliche and predictable?

I know there came a point in my own work, as a writer and an artist, where I developed the techniques I learned and created an entirely new style that was mine alone. I'll probably continue this conversation in the next few posts but the question is plain: What differentiates art from imitation? Is learning through imitation hurtful or helpful to an artist?

An Offering and An Apology
In my illustrated narrative class, I was given the assignment to create a collage from several photographs and any other work I wanted. Below is the piece I created. Enjoy and please accept this as an apology for my long absence.


So say we all.
Bri

5 comments:

Ezra said...

I think art as imitation is an excellent learning tool. It's one of the ways in which we first refine our skills in art classes. However, putting art as imitation forth as a marketable section, let alone such a large one, is not so cool. (In my opinion) I don't like all the art looking smooth, the same, like it's straight out of the same book even though it could be made by any number of people.

Then again, you know me. I like the expressive and "sloppy". :D

Unknown said...

I love the picture. Welcome back. :)

Jocelyn Howard said...

I would agree with ezra about imitation being a wonderful learning tool, but there comes a point where you have to be your own artist. There is the idea of there being nothing original under the sun. But, that's not an excuse to copy other people's work. Art in it's purest form is what's inside of you bursting to get out for the world to see. People don't like predictability. But then again, people's level of predictability often depends on their level of knowledge/experience with certain media.

Anonymous said...

What differentiates art from imitation? Experience. You can't help but be imitative. The brain thinks in patterns, and pretty consistent patterns across a cultural footprint. But, your experience is unique. No one else has exactly your experiences. That's why the old saw, Write what you know. It's not only that you do a better job, it's that the writing will be true to you. Thanks for posting a good question.

Myles said...

apartments for rent

breast augmentation before and after

basement finishing toronto

san diego events this weekend

salsa recipe

breast augmentation sacramento

interior designer toronto

apartment for rent

italian restaurants in new york city