Monday, February 18, 2008

God in Science and a Good Day With Bear,

God in the Sciences
So, I'm a senior, so I've seen most everything weird that could happen in a classroom. I have never seen what happened on Friday in my Physical Science class. The Prof lectured on the birth of the universe. A girl on the front row, obviously a freshman, raised her hand and worriedly said: So,like...what about God and - like - Jesus and stuff?

Personally, I'm not a religious person. I marvel at the beauty of the universe and the fact that we are the only known species that ponders abstractions like beauty and truth. I find solace in a higher power because I see no way for all of this to exist otherwise. I have no problem with religion. But I had a problem with the girl who asked this question. First, she should reconcile her faith and her science on her own time. Second, interrupting a lecture wastes not only the professor's time, but also mine (not a good thing). Third, she is an adult and should deal with her problems like one.

All said, I couldn't really get angry at her. Since a college Physics class could so easily shake her faith in something she built her whole life around, I could only pity her. Any thoughts or am I way out of line?

A Good Day with Bear
While Bear had lab until late on Valentine's Day and we barely got to see each other, we had a fantastically awesome time on Saturday. But first... at the beginning of the semester, Bear gave me 3:10 to Yuma as an early V-Day present; he knew he had to give it to me before I went out and bought it. So, on Valentine's Day, I wasn't expecting anything. Then I get this message, "You should come see your car today." When I got to the apartment, I found the sweetest messages and doodles drawn across my windshield. Needless to say, I was pleased.

But on Saturday...First, we saw Jumper, which was entertaining and unpretentious, completely satisfying in its delivery. After the movie we drove down into the Rock and ate at Chili's, playing tic-tac-toe until the food arrived. Trust me when I say that, though the meal was great, it was insignificant compared to the wholly divine dessert: seven layers of chocolate in a shot glass. On the way back to the dorm, we drove through an incredible lightning storm. At the end of it all, I mark it up as a good day.

All Work and No Play
Despite submitting all of my grad school applications and getting graduation forms in the bag, I was still constantly under stress. So after talking with Bear and my mum, I decided to cut a few hours at work so that I can focus more on my classwork and my novel. I love working with students and tutoring, but I didn't love going to bed at 11 and not getting to sleep until 3 because I'm so worried over what I didn't get to write.

Hopefully, I didn't offend anyone with the earlier section concerning the question asked in my physics class. Let me know what you think!

So say we all.
Bri

6 comments:

Carter said...

I think you're exactly right when you say that she is responsible for working out her own beliefs. Adult human beings are solely responsible for their own beliefs and actions.

Nathan said...

Hmm...

I suppose she asked a fair question... at the wrong time, in the wrong place.

It's hard for me to feel that angry with someone who's obviously confused, and probably scared. I've been there, and I hope she finds some guidance.

You got your God in my science! You got your science in my God!

Anonymous said...

I think she was probably looking to get a certain degree of comfort with her question--sort of, "wow, all of a sudden I'm not sure how God fits into this scenario you've proposed, so what do you really think?"

However, asking a loaded question like that in a lecture room can be very disrupting. A better venue for that kind of question would have been among friends, or family, or her church family.

Nicole said...

I think that I asked that same question... but of my parents, and many years earlier. So while I don't have issue with the question itself, the timing would have annoyed me.

I'm glad to hear your thoughts on Jumper. I've thought it looked good, and was thinking about seeing it.

And I so wanted to try one of those desserts the other day. Only they were out of clean shot glasses and so couldn't make me one. Boo. They gave me a free molten chocolate lava cake instead. Hmmm... okay. =) (Yum.)

Anonymous said...

A while back a friend had a girlfriend who was a top staudent. She had always wanted to be a singer, but she gave up her voice lessons in favor of more classes and hours at work.
Talk about your angry people.
You did the right thing.
Enjoy your writing.
Much bloglove,
Frances

Jaye Patrick said...

It's the age-old question, isn't it, how the concept of God meshes with the facts of science.

But personal beliefs have no place in a lecture hall unless the topic is theology.

You did the right thing. It's up to the individual to reconcile the two; an adult takes both sides of the issue, thinks on it and forms their own conclusion - in private.