Friday, November 9, 2007

The Difference Between Obsession and Passion

My coworkers informed me today that I am obsessed. At first, I let it go. I shook it off. But it followed me through the day and I can't get away from it. I shouldn't feel the need to defend myself, to justify what I do. But I do.

I adore my novel and develop it scene by scene, chapter by chapter every single day. I'm submitting short stories to magazine and designing artwork for a class I'm taking next semester. I adore playing HALO 3 and the community of players who game with me. I adore my work at the university where I tutor students and create workshops to build up a writing scene on campus. I've carried 18 hours for my junior and senior years. I've kept a near perfect GPA while working +15 hours a week.

I don't discuss these things that I love with my coworkers or my suitemates. Generally, I'm afraid I'll bore them. So I mostly keep it all to myself and geek about it all on my blog. So am I obsessed? Hardly. Am I driven? Most definitely. The difference? A value judgment against my lifestyle.

Do my co-workers make this value judgment against something they can't understand? Against someone else's ability to be passionate about something? Or is this a form of elitism, which allows the few to determine what is useful-legitimate or base-entertainment?

Either way, I don't really have time to figure that out. This post took up enough time. I'm off to write another chapter, to play through the last two campaign missions on HALO: CE and then to eat dinner with the guys. What are you doing this weekend?

So say we all.
Bri

5 comments:

Jaye Patrick said...

You're right. When people accuse you of being 'obsessed', it's usually because they don't understand, nor feel, the passion involved.

It's also an attempt to make you doubt yourself, as people who don't have the same talent are wont to do. The word 'obsessed' has negative connotations, after all.

Ignore them. It's merely an attempt to undermine your self-esteem and bring you down to their, unhappier, level.

Be proud of your passion and in the knowledge you're teaching others to enjoy it, too.

Anonymous said...

They are simply jealous.
I would love to post this to the group blog.
Frances
who is obsessed with blogging and proud of it

Unknown said...

Others have already said it - ignore them. People think I'm crazy and roll their eyes when I get going about writing. When they do that, I simply end the conversation and move on to someone who is interested and understands my passion...not obsession.

'Elle' said...

I understand being peeved when someone says you're obsessed. Often people tell me I am obsessed with history and the fact that I do living history. Ironically, my usual response is "I'm not obsessed, I'm passionate." =)

-Elle (from SheWhoBlogs)

qualcosa di bello said...

i would not doubt for a minute, after months of reading your blog, that it is passion, not obsession. i think a true passion for life intimidates some people & often people have to justify their own turning away from what could be their own passion by knocking that passion which others joyously live. embrace your passionate love of life...you are a real boost to your readers in this!

i am so glad frances choose this for the group blog...very appropos!