Friday, October 19, 2007

Friday Snippet: Jericho Down

Well, my friends, today was a day of accomplishments, medals and rank promotions. Today I wrote over 4, 200 words. I finished two chapters on my thesis. I gained three ranks in HALO 3 and defeated twelve higher raked people. I was god-like. How good is life? Life is very good.

Because of this, I give you a new story for Friday Snippets. We will eventually return to Dell and Iris, but this week, we celebrate the wonderful day with a new story. Please leave your own link! Please, let me know what you think!

Copyrighted, do not reproduce, material liable to change. Etc.

Rain slid down his visor as he sat slumped against the muddy mound bodies and memorial headstones. His audi-link to base had gone to blue static almost an hour ago. He needed to get up, but the assault rifle across his lap was cold and heavy. Blood splattered his body armor. His ears rang from the thunder of the artillery. He could feel the bullet lodged under his ribs as he breathed. He lifted his head, moving for the first time since he fell here in the mud. The rainwater slid down his face mask in silver streams.

"JERICHO," she said. "JERICHO we need you."


In the palm of his hand, he clutched a set of dog tags, burned beyond recognition. The letters of the name were raised and ashen. He curled his fingers over the tags, looping them through his belt. The leather pouch at his hip was heavy with the last few of his cartridges - the special rounds he wouldn't use until absolutely necessary. His audi-link crackled and he heard Aural's voice. There was pain in her words - something he hadn't heard before.

"JERICHO," she said. "JERICHO we need you."


So say we all.
Bri

10 comments:

IanT said...

Ohh, that's fun. :-)

(I've completed the main Halo 3 campaign, but haven't found the time to try multiplayer yet...)

Anonymous said...

I like it, and the names.

(Showing my ignorance - is it a fanficcy type thing or just somewhat inspired by or is the reference to body armor and assault rifles just the genre?)

My husband is in the Flood at the moment and I don't play it. I haven't the coordination for 1P shooters.

Anonymous said...

Awesome opening.

Bri said...

Body armor and assault rifles are sort of part of the genre. Of course, I've been seeing Space Marines in Aliens 2 and Starcraft and playing HALO and Gears of War for the past two weeks. You could say the snippet was inspired by all of that.

But not fanficcy - It ties in with another series of short stories about guys with weirdly religious codenames and genetic experiments I've already written. Glad you liked it.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Bri. For some reason, this snippet reminds me of The Forever War. (That's good.) I really want to read more.

-TimK

Anonymous said...

I got the idea while reading that Jericho was his codename and not his real name. I think codenames say a lot about people because you get to pick your codename--vs. your real name, which someone else picks for you. Really nice images! I'd like to read more.

Joely Sue Burkhart said...

Oh, goody, a new story! Cool beginning and definitely something I'd like to see more of!

qualcosa di bello said...

you've had a good week for sure! i missed last friday, so i have just had the pleasure of last week's moment with dell & now a new story...cool!

Gabriele Campbell said...

Oh, cool snippet. Space-y stuff is always fun.

Unknown said...

Oh, excellent beginning. Look forward to more!