Sunday, August 31, 2008

What Was He Thinking and Some Writing

Waiting for Funds
I've settled into the life of graduate school. The routine is comfortable, for now. Bear has been able to talk more lately; I don't feel like we're so far apart when I hear his voice. I'm still waiting on my loan money, but once I get it, I'll have a heyday. I'll get a cute little laptop, an adorable blue bicycle from Walmart and a ton of books, beginning with The Singularity is Near by Ray Kurzweil and A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson. I'll paint the apartment and buy the Ultimate Chair. There you have it. My plan to rule the world.

Wheat Field Heresy
On a much more serious note, I've been working on the story about the scientific minded girl in the rural southern town. One of the scenes I've drafted deals with what happens when the young boy takes one of her books home, without her permission. When his father finds him reading it, he rails against his son and demands the book be taken from their home and destroyed. The boy complies, mourning even as he burns the book in a trashcan in the driveway. When he tells her what happened, the following conversation takes place. It's not so much what I'm wanting, but it's a rough idea.

"I'll buy you another copy," he said.
"It's not that," she said. "What burns brighter? The book in your trashcan or the idea still in your head?"
"I hate you," he said into the curve of his elbow. She leaned her head against his shoulder and sighed.
"No," she said. "You hate what you fear and fear what you don't understand."

In Other News
McCain's VP choice is mind boggling; what was he thinking? Better...was he thinking? Also, I'm not sure I like my graduate level fiction class and I wish the rain would go away so I could go swimming. That's about it.

Holding the Line.
Bri

4 comments:

Nathan said...

Your plan sounds like a good one... Eventually, I'm thinking I might do the moving thing as well, but that's further down the road.

Also, if someone said something like that to me, I would not let her lean on my shoulder. It seems condescending, but maybe that's just me.

Good luck on your settling, and hope you get to swim soon. ^_^

Augustus said...

houses for rent

carrier air conditioner parts

salsa recipe

unfinished wood furniture

how to install wood flooring

real estate Florida

events in vancouver

hotels in Quebec city

real estate listings

new home

Sylvester said...

This can't truly have success, I suppose so.
atlanta limousine services | pregnancy announcement ecards | Limo Services San Diego

Sebastian said...

It can't really have success, I consider like this.
ROAST IN FOIL