Tuesday, December 18, 2007

I Did Survive

Post-Final Good Day(s), Grad Schools and Mold Colonies
Well, ladies and gents, finals week is finished. I got my grades this morning and from my cheerful tone, you can probably gather that things went in my favor. For the past few days, I've laid up from that gauntlet. Laying up includes going for drives, playing with fat tabby cats at Petsmart, browsing around Barnes & Noble and dozing on Bear's couch after celebrating my nomination for a scholarship.

I've also been able catch my breath and get my materials together for graduate school applications. Most of my schools have later application dates, which is wonderful. I'll have time to get my writing sample together and send off all the transcripts, letters of recommendation, shot records and other bureaucratic paperwork without pulling my hair out.

Also, as finals came down, we discovered our dorm was laced with mold At first, we didn't know if it was another flaw in this building: either way, we weren't really surprised. When your dorm has seven-walled rooms, 5/6 washers that don't work, and one-coat-paint that chips when you breathe on it, you're not surprised that mold is the obvious next step.

One Good Day
Lazing on the couch
after Smirnoff and sandwiches.

This was a good day.

Colony 01
Condensation beads
Mold colonizes my sill.
Allergies and colds!

Mass Effect...and My Face
So...I finished Mass Effect. I finished Mass Effect and my face is thoroughly melted, my socks thoroughly rocked. If you'll forgive the horrid quality of the picture to the left, you can see my version of the lead character in all 47 levels of his coolness. As John Shepard, I gallivanted across the galaxy, destroying synthetics and biological terrors while saving beautiful alien scientists and duking it out with the coolest bad guy in the whole universe.

In the bouncy MAKO land-rover, I laid siege to countless bases, cracked the decryption on hundreds of weapons lockers, and squashed newly evolving forms of alien life. I tried to play a natural mix of Paragon/Renegade, slinging out cruel words to my enemies, while romancing every available character on deck and charming my way to better deals at the markets. I tried to make sure my action were justified, that I was playing it as an experience and a story - not just another game. The results were absolutely fantastic.

While Mass Effect makes a great attempt to blend traditional RPG elements with a shooter, what stands head-and-shoulders above everything else in this game is the addictive conversation and story. Mass Effect is the first in a series of three, so hopefully any bugs will get worked out. Sure, it's got frame rate problems and loads a little slow at times, but that's hardly a good enough reason not to get it. You should look into it. For serious.

Other Stuff to Discuss
As I head toward home and Christmas break with the folks, I'll fill you guys in on the missing month of my life. I've made huge leaps in my novel, planned out an illustrated short story for next semester, read a couple of fantastic books and maybe found a field of study I hadn't considered before. So glad to be back. I'll be making the rounds this week to reintroduce myself, so see you then!

So say we all.
Bri

6 comments:

Ezra said...

This was a triumph.
I'm making a note here, huge success.
It's hard to overstate my satisfaction.

Unknown said...

Congratulations on doing so well with your classes. I hope you have a wonderful holiday vacation. :)

IanT said...

Hi Bri,

Congratulations! Now take a breath...

I too have finished Mass Effect. Now need to play it back in different ways (I have played it through in quite some depth as a female Shepard paragon and then more briefly as a male Shepard renegade - the female voice acting is far, far better. As are the love interests.) It's an amazing game, and I can quite forgive the flaws for the story, character, and digital acting. Just stunning.

You may want to check my last blog entry, as I believe (thanks to Gabriele) I sort of have a present for you.

Jaye Patrick said...

Congrats on the nomination and well done on the grades.

Joely Sue Burkhart said...

Congratulations on good grades and surviving finals! Have a great holiday!

Kristian said...

Thanks so much for this article, quite useful piece of writing.
fun science experiments | slip and fall | Toronto movers